1. A great place to hide. If it isn't deep enough you can just stick your head in it.
2. The start of a new and possibly lucrative route to China. Unexpected income.
3. Opportunity to gain expertise with earth moving equipment, e.g., a shovel.
4. Shows initiative. Much better than expecting someone to dig a hole for you.
5. Allows you do something for yourself. Haven't you been spending more than enough time doing things for others...?
6. Practice making decisions. Put it just where you want it without having to consult a committee.
7. Put your dead horse in it. (See previous list.)